Your destination is just a phone call away
What is Reserve-A-Ride?
Reserve-A-Ride is a curb-to-curb service that can accommodate all residents of Jackson County, including those with disabilities. Reserve-A-Ride is a first-come first-serve service.
County Reserve-A-Ride service is available Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 6 am to 6 pm. Please refer to the Reserve-A-Ride Information Brochure below for more details on scheduled times and costs.
- Advanced reservations are required
- Same-day rides are scheduled on an as-available basis
- We do not schedule rides on weekends cancellation only
- Schedule your ride's monday thru friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
How do I use Reserve-A-Ride?
Just call and schedule your ride! (517) 788-8410
It is recommended that you make your reservation 24-hours in advance.
Click the button below for our in-depth look at our Reserve-A-Ride program.
Phone Number: (517) 788-8410
Accessible Origin / Destination
Where can I get picked up and dropped off with Reserve-A-Ride?
- All passengers are expected to request service to or from buildings that are safely accessible.
- Parking areas and/or driveways must remain free of obstruction or barriers (snow, ice or other obstructions)
What important details should I know about Reserve-A-Ride?
JATA drivers are required to abide by the following guidelines when providing the Reserve-A-Ride service:
- JATA Drivers will provide curbside service at boarding and departing areas.
- JATA Drivers are required to provide reasonable assistance to passengers (if requested) as they board and depart the vehicle. Operators are not allowed to enter a private residence, physically lift passengers or negotiate stairs.
Passengers with disabilities pay a reduced fare. Please contact the Dispatch office at 517-788-8410 for more information.
JATA Drivers can assist you with:
- Pushing a wheelchair to or from the first outside door of a building upon request; providing there is an appropriate ramp, and walkways are clear and in good condition.
- Providing an arm to steady an individual walking to and from the vehicle.
Passengers requiring more assistance than described above must bring a companion that can provide them assistance. JATA does not recommend the transport of mobility devices and associated equipment (wheelchair, etc.) which are unstable or in poor condition. Mobility devices are the responsibility of the passenger. JATA is not responsible for damage to wheel chairs or other mobility devices that may occur during transport.
JATA can make reasonable service modifications to assist with your trip:
It is JATA’s policy to make reasonable modifications to its policies, practices, or procedures when requested to do so by individuals with disabilities when such accommodations are necessary to avoid discrimination on the basis of disability.
Requests for accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis and may be denied on one or more of the following grounds:
- Granting the request would fundamentally alter the nature of our services, programs, or activities;
- Granting the request could create a direct threat to the health or safety of the requestor or others;
- Granting the request would create an undue financial or administrative burden for the JATA; or
- Without such modification, the individual with a disability is otherwise able to fully use JATA’s services, programs, or activities for their intended purpose.
Requests for reasonable accommodations can be made when scheduling your ride. Please notify your scheduler what modification/s are needed as you are providing your ride request.
In determining whether to grant a requested modification, JATA will be guided by the provisions of United States Department of Transportation at 49 CFR Appendix E to Part 37.169. When possible, we ask that customers make accommodation requests in advance. However, requests made on location will be considered.
ADA Complimentary Paratransit Service
The Jackson Area Transportation Authority provides complimentary paratransit service for persons with disabilities which prevent them from utilizing the Authority’s fixed route service. This is offered during city bus hours:
- Monday-Friday - 6:15 AM to 6:15 PM
- Saturday - 10:15 AM to 6:15 PM
In order to utilize this service, you must qualify under ADA guidelines. Applications must be filled out entirely and submitted to the ADA coordinator for consideration.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Do you prioritize trips for people with disabilities?
Because JATA is a public transportation provider, requests are scheduled according to available space without regard to trip purpose. The only exception to this rule is when a passenger has an "Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Para-transit Priority Certification". Passengers with this certification are allowed to make reservation up to two weeks in advance.
Procedure to file a complaint under the ADA
If you believe you have been discriminated against because of your disability, you may file a complaint. The complaint shall be in writing and contain pertinent information about the alleged discrimination. You can fill the JATA ADA complaint form by clicking the box below this section. Alternative means of filing complaints, such as personal interviews or tape recording of the complaint, will be made available for persons with disabilities upon request.
The complaint should be submitted by the complainant and/or his/her designee as soon as possible but no later than 180 calendar days after the alleged violation to:
Jackson Area Transportation Authority Attn: ADA Coordinator
2350 E. High Street
Jackson, MI 49203
Within 15 calendar days after receipt of the complaint, the ADA Coordinator and/or his/her designee will meet with the complainant to discuss the complaint and the possible resolution. Within 15 calendar days of the meeting, the ADA Coordinator or his/her designee will respond in writing, and where appropriate, in a format accessible to the complainant, such as large print, Braille or audio tape. The response will explain the ADA Coordinator's position and offer options for substantive resolution of the complaint.
If the initial response does not satisfactorily resolve the issue, the complainant and/or his/her designee may appeal the decision within 15 calendar days after receipt of the response to JATA’s Executive Director or his/her designee.
Within 15 calendar days after receipt of the appeal, the Executive Director or his/her designee will meet with the complainant to discuss the complaint and possible resolutions. Within 15 calendar days after the meeting, the Executive Director or his/her designee will respond in writing, and, where appropriate, in a format accessible to the complainant, with a final resolution of the complaint.
All written complaints received by the Public Relations Representative or his/her designee, appeals to the Executive Director or his/her designee, and responses from these two offices will be retained by JATA for at least one year. Complaints can also be filed directly with the Federal Transit Administration’s Office of Civil Rights at:
FTA Office of Civil Rights
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC 20590
Frequently Asked Questions
- The JATA uses lift or ramp equipped vehicles to provide Reserve-A-Ride service to the physically disabled.
- Vehicles range from mini-vans to 24 passenger small buses.
- Service is provided at curb-side unless the customer has a drive or parking area that can accommodate the JATA vehicle.
All passengers who require assistance beyond JATA service limitations must provide their own PCA. The PCA is allowed to ride JATA vehicles at no charge.
Please call our Dispatch Office at 517-788-8410
All passengers are expected to call the Dispatch Office, 517-788-8410, at least two (2) hours prior to their scheduled ride if it becomes necessary to cancel the ride for any reason. Failure to cancel rides can result in suspension of service.
Any passenger who fails to show for a scheduled ride and did not cancel as described above, may be charged for the missed ride at the time of their next scheduled appointment. Continued "No-Shows" can result in suspension of Reserve-A-Ride service.